signature of Chloe watermelon
    Watermelon Punch, The Blog
          more healing properties than window cleaner

« previous  |  Front  |  next »

little watermelon Friday 28 October 2005

Autumn... moving right along

Pumpkins in Loyalville
After a hot summer of way too many days being over 90°, so that it was too hot to do much of anything outside most of the time... Now we swing right into near-winter like conditions.
I literally went from wearing sandals & short sleeves with the air conditioner running, skipping right past long sleeves and having the windows open, straight to sweatshirts, sweaters, coat, and having the heat on.
It's already cold and dreary and rainy... And there was already some snow falling in the higher elevations this week.
I really feel like I've been short-changed on the mild seasons this year.

I was forced to take my plant in from the porch this week.
I've had the plant since the summer of 2004. And I now see that it's grown a great deal since then.

Plant, July 2004

Plant, October 2005

However, it doesn't fair quite as well inside, under the skylight as it does outside on the porch. But under the skylight is pretty much the only reasonable place that it could reside for the winter.
I had one plant from 1997 until 2003. By far the longest I'd ever kept a plant alive.
Watermelon Punch - Photo Album - 06 Sep 2001 - Plant on porch
It took me awhile to find another plant that was similar, because I had liked that plant so much. But I finally did. And I hope it does okay again this winter.

I have a feeling it's going to be another cold winter.

posted by Chloe | Friday 28 October 2005 12:51 AM

Comments

I thought that was a philodendron, but I now think it's something else whose name escapes me. But I believe that this sort of plant will reproduce easily from pieces snipped off and placed in water or soil. If you're concerned that it might die indoors, you could always start a few clones and have them ready to take its place.
Posted by
Harold | Friday 28 October 2005 9:40PM

Or maybe it is a Heart Leaf Phioldendron. http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/houseplants/types/philodendron.html
Posted by Harold | Friday 28 October 2005 9:46PM

I'm not sure what plant it is. But the leaves of my plant (and the one I used to have) would seem to be smaller and more rubbery than the leaves in the plant in that photo. But it does say there's many varieties, so I guess it could be, but I have no idea.
I just like the way it looks.
And it doesn't seem to harm my cats if they nibble at it, yet they don't seem bent on doing so anyway.
Also, it's incredibly easy to care for because all I have to do is stick food sticks in every few months, add fresh soil about once a year; and the watering... I wait until the soil gets bone dry, then I soak it to almost overflowing, and it seems to do well that way. (The original plant came with those instructions, and this plant seems to do well that same way.)

Posted by Chloe | Friday 28 October 2005 11:28PM

I don't think its going to be as cold as it is going to be snowy. When the acorns fall as heavy as they have been and the squirrels work as feverishly as they have been, it makes me think more snow. That, and the fact that the sap hasn't been pooring from the trees as heavy as before. How's that for scientific evidence :-)
Posted by Tim Pintsch | Saturday 29 October 2005 7:02AM

It was so gorgeous in PA when I left and then definitely winterlike here in Belgrade. Bleh. I'm sorta glad to hear it's the same there in PA so I don't feel like I timed my trip all wrong. Lovely pumpkins pic!
Posted by Alison | Tuesday 15 November 2005 7:43AM

Trackbacks

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference this entry.

Add your comments

Comment Avatar icons by
Gravatar.
E-mail addresses are required, but not displayed nor shared.
Please post comments relevant to this page only. For off-topic comments, questions, and discussion, please use this site's Message Board Forum. All comments posted that are spam, abusive, use phoney e-mail, or that do not relate directly to the page, will be removed.
Thank you for respecting this site, author & readers, and for helping stem the flow of ridiculously inaccurate hits from search engines.

E-mail this entry to a friend

Email this entry to:

Your email address:

Message (optional):

Front Page           Archives           Recent Comments           About           Contact           Forum

little watermelon little watermelon little watermelon little watermelon little watermelon little watermelon little watermelon

This blog is archive-only.
Find the new blog & other links of interest on the site's main page
@ WatermelonPunch.com

Side-Blog

scientific evidence for 'intuition'
>>Subliminal Messages Fuel Anxiety | LiveScience<<
this adds scientific evidence to the information given by Gaven DeBecker in his book "The Gift of Fear" (more)

superficiality
>>If the facade is what's important to you, all you wind up with is an illusion. Disillusionment is the gift of substance.
-- Chloe<<
(more)

4 sunrises & 4 sunsets
>>NASA - Spitzer Finds Evidence for Planets with Four Parents<<
I'm betting there's no tanning salons on those planets. (more)

the appearance of complicity w/ binsack
>>The Times-Tribune - Advertorials boosted Binsack's image<<
Finally someone else is pointing out the gall & irony of that stupid Binsack radio show, which I pointed out a year ago. (more)

binsack arrested again
>>The Times-Tribune - Homebuilder arrested again<<
and he's still blaming everyone & everything but himself, and probably still bragging at the same time no doubt... (more)

new 7 wonders is a joke
>>UNESCO slams new seven wonders list | | The Australian<<
I scoff at any list of "wonders" that included a statue created less than 100 years ago, with no mystery attached to it, but failed to include the statues of Easter Island. (more)

who didn't see scott binsack coming?
>>The Times-Tribune - Detractors, growing debt dog local builder
Watermelon Punch, the Blog - Side-Blog - 26 Aug 2006 | in the same line of work<<
I certainly saw this coming, and I don't know much about building at all. Just seems like common sense. Though I have heard that only 7% of the population has that. (more)

Images on this site may not be reposted, nor redistributed without permission.